Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Results of Blackout 2017

The Shisler family Blackout 2017 is drawing to a close. It was an interesting month. We did well in some areas and others were a challenge. We've definitely learned some things.

We stuck to the no electronics the whole month. There was one or two who shall remain nameless that sneaked some phone time or did some unnecessary "work" on the computer, but overall it was a pretty quiet month. At first the kids didn't know what to do with themselves, but they started playing more games and undertaking creative endeavors. 

Drying laundry on the line didn't go well. I tried it once but realized quickly I didn't have enough space on my line for the amount of laundry I do in  a day. We did some towels and sheets on the line, but I admit we gave that up pretty quickly.

We are still washing dishes by hand. I have definitely learned to appreciate my Bosch dishwasher. I had no idea how much time it saves me. I'm not going to take it for granted anymore!

We ate more simply as well and tried some new dishes. We did more of a "Mediterranean" diet, which worked pretty well for everyone. 

I noticed that we did better the first half of the month than the second. Especially as our vacation approached, I started buying things on Amazon again, using it as my excuse. I think I need some more work on the "no spending" in the future. I did successfully avoid buying my son a fidget spinner. He asked approximately forty thousand times a day.

I made it well over a week without air conditioning, but it probably wasn't fair because the weather has been unseasonably cool and pleasant. I got uncomfortable fast for the few days that were hot, and the air went right back on. I believe if we had to live in survival mode that would be the the thing that I would have the hardest time with. I don't like being too hot. 

We did composting most of the month and didn't use paper or plastic. I noticed the garbage can wasn't as full as usual, and I was happy about that. 

If I were going to grade us, we'd probably get a C- for our effort and attitudes this time. But I'm told I'm a tough teacher. I think this was a good introduction to a simpler lifestyle, but it wasn't perfect. I'm thinking we are going to need to revisit this idea again.

We played a lot of board games, spent a lot of time outside, went to VBS, slept more, talked more and took more walks. And those were probably the best reasons to pull the plug. I spent more time studying the Bible and praying, and I managed to write about 50,000 words during the month of June, which is unheard of for me. I guess I really do get distracted by the internet. I may have to give myself some permanent rules about work time.

Here are some pics from the past month. Thanks for tuning in!









built from scratch by my 13-year-old daughter


playing "co-op"

Washing dishes and shenanigans

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Personal Nature of Holy Week

 HOLY WEEK IS PERSONAL. This is Holy Week. Depending on your background and upbringing, this may mean different things to you. Perhaps you t...