Thursday, September 29, 2011

Coffee Simplified


I am not the world's greatest coffee lover.

I realize that somewhat reduces my credibility with a coffee recipe. And I suppose you could argue that this is not necessarily "more simple" than putting in the grounds and the water and pressing the button. But if you are one of the millions currently enamored with the fall favorite "Pumpkin Spice Latte," then I suggest you give this a try. 

Why should I? You ask. 

My husband brought me home a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks a couple weeks ago. It was pretty good. I could see why people were talking about them. But he said it cost him $5! Besides that, I didn't feel like the taste was quite balanced. It was heavy on the coffee taste and you could barely taste the pumpkin. So I guess if you feel the same way, that you'd like a little less coffee and a little more pumpkin, and you'd rather not sacrifice your arm or your leg for the taste, you might want to give this recipe a try.

This is my version, loosely based on several other recipes I found online:

PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE FOR TWO


1 cup espresso (I just used an overflowing tablespoon of coffee for 6 oz of water.)
2 cups milk 
1/2 - 1/4 cup sugar or Stevia in the Raw
4 tbsp of canned pureed pumpkin (Libby's 100%)
1 1/2 tsps of pumpkin pie spice
extra cinnamon to taste
1 tbsp vanilla


You can cook this on the stovetop, but I prefer to use my small crockpot. Just put everything in, whisk it till it's frothy, leave it on high for 2 hours, whisk again, top with whipped cream and a shake of cinnamon and you have your very own pumpkin spice latte for a fraction of the cost. 


Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Just checking - you are saying that instead of "espresso" you just brewed coffee in that ratio and then used the coffee in the recipe? (at first I was picturing putting coffee grounds and water in the crock pot mixture, and i was confused)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! I wondered when I wrote that if it would be confusing. Yes, just brewing it at that ratio. I'm not sure if that's considered espresso or not, but one of the recipes I found suggested just brewing extra strong coffee.

    ReplyDelete

The Personal Nature of Holy Week

 HOLY WEEK IS PERSONAL. This is Holy Week. Depending on your background and upbringing, this may mean different things to you. Perhaps you t...