Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Fitness/Financial/Spiritual Challenge

Ready or not, the ball is about to drop again, and usher in the year 2012.

If I could use one word to describe myself in 2011, it would be.... tired. I spent 95% of the year chasing Screech around and trying to keep him from destroying the world.

I was too tired to contemplate a vacation.

I was too tired to attend the annual women's retreat at my church that I haven't missed in at least 10 years. Not even the year I had morning sickness AND a stomach bug.

Everything I HAD to do, such as homeschool and exercise and go out in public - I had to make myself accomplish. It just wasn't in me.

And knowing that I'm heading into 2012 with Screech at the pinnacle of his annoying and destructive phase, I know I'm going to need help getting through it.

So WHY IN THE WORLD am I starting a 3 part, 3 month long challenge?

That's a really good question.

Committing to read the Bible the whole way through, lose 35 pounds, and not spend a dime more than I absolutely have to for three months isn't my idea of fun. But I'm to the place where I know that I can't just keep going on doing what I must to survive. And so I've learned that sometimes when you are at the end of yourself, the answer to getting out of the rut is to reach beyond yourself, and do the unexpected. The ridiculous. The challenge that you know WITHOUT A DOUBT you could never accomplish in your own strength.

Giving God an avenue to prove himself.

So that's what I'll be doing starting the morning of January 2. A new routine. 3 new disciplines. And I'm not only hopeful, I'm expectant as I watch God do the hard stuff in me to make changes that need to happen in my life.

Here's the challenge. Will YOU join me? If you commit to do one or all of these challenges with me, I will commit to praying for you, staying in touch with you, and helping you out in any way I can. Let me review the 3 challenges:

FITNESS: Committing to monitor eating and exercise, and stay on a plan for three months for the goal of health with or without weight loss.

FINANCIAL: Committing to only spend what is necessary for three months. (If it can wait, it will.)

SPIRITUAL: Reading through the Bible in 90 days. I am doing this with Amy on her BLOG. (If you would like to join me for this challenge please do it through Amy's website.)

If you want to join the other two, please let me know with a response to this post, either here or on facebook. Please also click the "join" button so we will be able to keep track of each other. I will pray for you every day of the three months and keep in touch with you so we can encourage one another in our goals.

Hope to hear from you before Monday morning! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. i know i haven't commented lately, but i am still reading your blog. :) however, i've avoided this post since i saw it on fb. i had a post i wanted to write but haven't had the chance until today and i wanted to write it before i read this post. i had expected them to be polar opposites and didn't want your happy self changing my thoughts for my post. ;) i'm glad i chose to ignore it because now that i've written mine, i came here and found encouragement in your post instead of discouragement (because i'm not excited about setting goals and assumed you would be bouncing and excited for these new challenges).

    sometimes it's good to admit i was wrong. ;)

    will send you a note later on fb...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought I should probably explain that I wasn't exactly excited about doing this. It was more like being nudged into it by the HS because it is what I NEED right now. Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete

The Personal Nature of Holy Week

 HOLY WEEK IS PERSONAL. This is Holy Week. Depending on your background and upbringing, this may mean different things to you. Perhaps you t...