Tuesday, February 18, 2020

When comes the Spring



A Light exists in Spring
Not present on the Year
At any other period –
When March is scarcely here.

-Emily Dickinson

As of yet, there is hardly a whisper of spring here. Some days are cold, rainy and dreary, some are very cold and frosty, some are merely dreary. Dreary seems to be the word that comes to mind the most when looking out the window in the morning, hoping to see signs of life emerging in the forever gray winter.
My baby plants wait patiently in their little nursery on my kitchen counter, nestled between homeschool books and art projects. They don't worry that spring will never come. They aren't sighing at the weather day after day, wishing that the first warm breeze of spring would blow through and wake up nature once again to life and vitality.
Would that I could be more like those little plants, trusting in the warmth of their grow light and the moisture from the spray bottle and their little paper cups that keep them safe. Spring will come, they insist. One day soon, there will be no more need for a heat mat that keeps the temperature at 75 degrees. 


You are looking at the first plants that have emerged that will become part of my garden this year. I have flowers and herbs and vegetables and fruit, all with a particular purpose for the garden I hope to grow. Some will be food. Some will attract valuable insects. Some will repel pests. Some will feed the chickens my daughter is hoping to get next month. Some will make teas and herbs I hope will be helpful to a few of the specific ailments my family tends to experience.


This is only my second year growing completely from seed. I learned last year that I do not need to attempt to plant the whole bag of seeds. They will grow. With the haul I purchased this year, I hope to have no need for more for several years. Beyond that, I hope to be able to save seeds and become a self-sufficient gardener.

In the meantime, I have two places I purchase seeds from. Baker seeds (rareseeds.com) prides themselves on providing heirloom seeds that continue on the legacy of our ancestors with seeds that have not been meddled with by science. They are the plant as they have always been. Baker sends out a free magazine with all their seeds early in the year, and it's fun to look through. They have things I've never even heard of before! I get seeds from Baker that I can't get through my local heirloom seed provider. I like getting the more common seeds locally. I think plants do better when they grown in their native climate.


So for now, my plants are beginning to grow, and I continue to watch the weather and dream about spring. Much work comes, though now I can't even bear to go outside for the cold. Someday. Someday spring will be here, and a garden that has only been a dream will come to life.

Reminds me of other truths. Someday, they will come true as well. God means to keep all his good promises to his people. We can trust that one day will we look back from our future lives and see all he did, and barely remember the dreary, cold years that produced no fruit and provided no nourishing warmth. One day it will all be a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Personal Nature of Holy Week

 HOLY WEEK IS PERSONAL. This is Holy Week. Depending on your background and upbringing, this may mean different things to you. Perhaps you t...